18/05/2026

MONDAY | MAY 18, 2026

5

‘Accept ruling to keep liquid nicotine on Poisons List’

Couple claims trial to child abuse charge KOTA BHARU: A married couple pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here yesterday to a charge of abusing their nephew in April. Wan Saiful Azuan Wan Idris, 31, and Yujas Nor Aida Jasmin Mohd Yusoff, 29, entered the plea after the charge was read before Judge Zulkifli Abdullah. The couple was jointly charged with abusing a 10-year-old boy in a manner likely to cause physical injury at a house in Kampung Sungai Mas, Machang, at about 10pm on April 19. The charge, framed under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001, carries a maximum fine of RM50,000, imprisonment of up to 20 years, or both, upon conviction. – Bernama Elderly man held over Klang hit-and-run case SHAH ALAM: Police have detained a 75-year-old man believed to be linked to a hit-and-run incident involving three pedestrians at Jalan Pekan Baru in Bandar Baru Klang on Friday. North Klang police chief ACP S. Vijaya Rao said the suspect was arrested at about 11.40am on Saturday following information received from the public regarding the incident, which left two people dead and another seriously injured. “The suspect is currently being detained and will be remanded for further investigations. Checks also found that the elderly man has no criminal or narcotics record,”he said in a statement yesterday. Vijaya also urged anyone with information on the case to contact the nearest police station or traffic investigating officer Insp Ahmad Fadzli Abdullah at 017-584 3860. Yesterday, Vijaya said two sisters were killed while a 17-year-old teenager was injured after a sport utility vehicle crashed into three pedestrians in the suspected hit-and-run incident on May 15. – Bernama

immediate steps to ensure nicotine liquids and gels used in vape and e-cigarette products are placed back under proper poison control, where they rightfully belong,” Amrahi said. MPS is a member of the Malaysian Council for Tobacco Control, one of three NGOs involved in the judicial review alongside the Malaysian Green Lung Association and Voice of the Children. On May 15, public health groups secured a major victory when the High Court ruled that the government acted unlawfully in March 2023 by removing vape-related liquid and gel nicotine from the Poisons List. The move, made by then Health minister Datuk Seri Dr Zaliha Mustafa, had allowed the products to be taxed and sold under a separate regulatory framework. Judge Datuk Zaliha Sulaiman ruled

that the decision was irrational and made without proper consultation with the Poisons Board, which had unanimously opposed the exemption. The court also found that the exemption was largely driven by economic considerations following Budget 2023, when Prime Minister and Finance Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim proposed excise duties on e-cigarettes and nicotine vape liquids. She further ruled that the exemption created a regulatory gap lasting one year and seven months until Act 852 came into force on Oct 1 last year. The judge said consultation with the Poisons Board under the Poisons Act 1952 must be “conscious, meaningful, purposeful and effective” and not treated merely as a procedural formality after decisions had effectively been made.

o Court decision should be treated as turning point to rebuild vape regulatory framework, says Malaysian Pharmacists Society

Ű BY FAIZ RUZMAN newsdesk@thesundaily.com

enforcement under the Control of Smoking Products for Public Health Act 2024 (Act 852), especially in curbing sales and marketing targeting youths. “With Act 852 now in force, Malaysia must not lose momentum. “MPS calls for firm enforcement, stronger action against youth-targeted vape sales and marketing, wider access to smoking and vape cessation services and meaningful involvement of healthcare professionals in future nicotine-control policy. “The government should now take

PETALING JAYA: The High Court decision to remove the 2023 exemption of liquid nicotine from the Poisons List should serve as a turning point to rebuild the country’s vape regulatory framework rather than a ruling for the government to appeal, said the Malaysian Pharmacists Society (MPS). Its president Amrahi Buang urged Putrajaya to fully accept the court findings and immediately place liquid and gel nicotine used in vape and e-cigarette products back under the ambit of the Poisons Act. He said the judgment goes beyond the legality of a single exemption order, exposing broader weaknesses in protecting public health when regulatory decisions are influenced by administrative or fiscal considerations. “The court decision sends a clear signal that public health safeguards cannot simply be set aside for administrative convenience or fiscal objectives. “From a healthcare perspective, nicotine remains a pharmacologically active and dependence-forming substance requiring proper regulatory oversight. “It should not be treated as just another taxable consumer product,” he said in a statement yesterday. The former Universiti Malaya Medical Centre chief pharmacist said pharmacists had, for about two years, warned that removing liquid nicotine from poison control would create a regulatory vacuum, particularly as vape products became increasingly accessible to young users. He added that the ruling should now be used as a catalyst to strengthen

The High Court ruling on vape liquid and gel containing nicotine is being seen as a turning point for stronger public health oversight. – ADIB RAWI YAHYA/THESUN

Families hit by storm receive financial aid KUALA LUMPUR: The Federal Territories Department (FTD) has channelled financial assistance of up to RM3,000 each to 22 families affected by a tornado-like storm in Kampung Tanjung Aru, Labuan, to help ease their burden and support initial home repairs. by the storm, which damaged 43 houses in the village. Of the total, 22 units sustained severe damage, 10 recorded moderate damage and 11 suffered minor damage. remain vigilant during unpredictable weather conditions while complying with instructions issued by the authorities. Meanwhile, Labuan MP Datuk Dr Suhaili Abdul Rahman also contributed RM1,000 in personal assistance to each victim, in addition to another RM1,000 contribution from the Prime Minister’s Office for every head of household.

Co-workers killed in fiery car crash KUALA LUMPUR: Two co-workers were killed yesterday morning after the car they were travelling in skidded, crashed and burst into flames along Jalan Sungai Besi, heading from the city centre towards the Kuala Lumpur Seremban Highway. of the road, causing the car to catch fire,” he said in a statement. Mohd Zamzuri said firefighters from the Cheras Fire and Rescue station assisted in extinguishing the blaze and extricating the victims from the vehicle. “The driver was burnt to death, while the female passenger sustained severe head injuries. Both were pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel from Kuala Lumpur Hospital,” he said.

At the same time, Labuan Corporation also provided additional financial assistance ranging from RM1,000 to RM3,000 based on the extent of damage. “FTD and Labuan Corporation will continue monitoring the situation and work closely with relevant agencies to ensure recovery efforts proceed smoothly. “Appreciation is also extended to rescue agencies, security personnel, volunteers and local residents who assisted victims following the incident,” the statement added. The department said safeguarding public welfare remains a government priority and advised residents to

Kuala Lumpur Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department chief Mohd Zamzuri Mohd Isa said the incident, which occurred at about 3am, involved a grey Honda City hatchback driven by a 29-year-old local Chinese man, with a 23-year-old local Malay woman as the passenger. He said they were believed to have been returning to Ampang after attending a dinner event organised by a banking company, Bernama reported. “Preliminary investigations found that while navigating a bend at the scene, the driver is believed to have lost control of the vehicle before it skidded and crashed into a pillar on the left side

In a statement yesterday, the department said the storm, which struck the area on May 12, damaged roofs, ceilings and household belongings, raising concerns over the safety and wellbeing of residents. “In difficult times like these, the people need to know they are not facing the situation alone. Immediate assistance is crucial, especially as victims are still dealing with damage to their homes and ensuring the safety of their families,” the statement said. Its director-general Datuk Muhammad Azmi Mohd Zain presented the aid to residents affected

“The contributions reflect the continued concern and coordinated response of government agencies and elected representatives to ensure affected residents are not left to bear the burden alone. “The assistance also highlights the importance of immediate post-disaster support, especially for families whose homes were damaged and who require urgent funds for temporary repairs, daily necessities and recovery efforts,” he said. – Bernama

The case is being investigated under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987, with further investigations ongoing, including efforts to obtain closed-circuit television footage from the scene. “Witnesses with information related to the incident are urged to come forward to assist investigations by contacting the Tun H.S. Lee Traffic police station at 03-2071 9999 or any police station.”

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker