27/08/2025
SPORTS WEDNESDAY | AUG 27, 2025
29
Draper proud to compete after injury setback
BRITAIN’S Jack Draper admitted he was simply proud to be on court at the US Open after overcoming Argentine qualifier Federico Agustin Gomez in yesterday’s first round while dealing with a left-arm injury. The match at Flushing Meadows was Draper’s first singles outing since his second round exit at Wimbledon last month, with the fifth seed revealing he had been unsure whether he would recover in time from a bruised humerus on his serving arm. “There’s obviously a recovery process. You
“The ramp-up is quite quick to be here, so I couldn’t sort of go full out on the serve the last few weeks.” Despite some rocky moments, including losing the third set in a tiebreak, the 23-year old welcomed the test of a three-hour contest. “I needed tennis in my legs,” Draper said. “In some ways I was almost happy to lose the third, because I wasn’t playing my best, but towards the end I felt better and better. That’s what I needed, competitive tennis at this level.” – Reuters
can go out and compete.” Draper, a semifinalist in New York last year, said he was still easing his way back, while he conceded he has deliberately taken pace off his serve in recent weeks to avoid aggravating the injury. “I’ve definitely had to rein in my serve a little bit to make sure to keep the pain down, that’s for sure,” he said.
know, with the injury I had in my arm, the return to competition is probably about eight weeks; I’m here seven weeks, so I’m early,” Draper told reporters after his 6-4, 7-5, 6-7(7), 6 2 win. “As I’ve gotten closer to the tournament, me and my team, you know, we’ve had more scans, we’re confident that I’m not doing any more damage to my arm, and I’m in a place where I
A cut above the rest New-look Alcaraz eases into US Open round two
Keys undone by paralysing nerves
C ARLOS ALCARAZ unveiled a striking new hairstyle before giving towering Reilly Opelka the chop at the US Open yes terday. The 22-year-old arrived on Arthur Ashe Stadium sporting a severe military-style crew cut for his night match with the American. While Alcaraz’s new look failed to impress some – close friend and fellow player Frances Tiafoe called it “terrible” – it did not distract the streamlined Spaniard from the task at hand as he motored to a 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 first-round victory over the 2.1m Opelka. Alcaraz could not hide his delight with his performance against his big serving opponent. “Today was a really difficult one,“ Alcaraz said. “Reilly is a great, tough player. I couldn’t get the rhythm that I wanted to get but I’m just really happy with what I did today.” “I just tried to return well, playing as long a point as I can and trying to get the good rhythm and the good feeling. “So it was a difficult first round, but overall I just really happy with the way that I managed everything that I played today. “Good return, good point
stranglehold on the contest. The third set went with serve until the ninth game, when Alcaraz once again scored a decisive break to take a 5-4 lead. A long forehand return from Opelka gave Alcaraz three match points, and he converted the first with a scorching forehand down the line to advance. “The next round is going to be with more rhythm, playing more points from the baseline,” said Alcaraz, who will face Mattia Bellucci in the second round. “So let’s see if I’m going to get there. But right now I’m just really happy with the way that I’m feeling.” – AFP/Agencies
about the reactions of the people.” Alcaraz, who won the first of his five Grand Slam singles titles at the US Open in 2022, took control with a break in the fifth game of the first set, retaining that advantage before serving out to love. After saving two Opelka
MADISON KEYS said the nerves she experienced in her first US Open appearance as a Grand Slam winner proved “paralysing” after the sixth-seeded American was sent spinning out of the opening round in New York yesterday. Keys notched up a staggering 89 unforced errors and made 14 double faults in her 6-7(10), 7 6(3), 7-5 defeat by Mexican Renata Zarazua in front of stunned spectators on Arthur Ashe Stadium to become the highest seeded casualty of the women’s draw so far. It was a bitterly disappointing finish to a Grand Slam season that began with her maiden major title at the Australian Open in January and the 30-year-old said the jitters cost her dearly against her unseeded opponent. “I feel like today... for the first time in a while, my nerves really got the better of me, and it became a little bit paralysing,” Keys told reporters. “I felt like I was just slow, I wasn’t seeing things the way that I wanted to which I feel resulted in a lot of bad decisions and lazy footwork. “So I feel like that’s the summary.” Th r ee
when her career had stalled due to the suffocating pressure of trying to stay at the top level of the sport and she said expectations weighed heavily on her again. “I think it was probably building a little bit,” she added. “You always feel first-round jitters and as the day gets closer, feel a little bit more and more nervous. “But I feel for whatever reason today I couldn’t separate myself from the… feeling that winning matters just way too much… Once you start playing badly it just all snowballs.” The 2017 US Open runner-up suggested that the gruelling season had also taken a heavy toll. “As the year has gone on and on and on, there’s been a lot of matches, there hasn’t been a lot of time to reset. “It was a lot easier at the beginning of the year,
break points b e f o r e holding for 3-3 in the second set, A l c a r a z seized his chance in the 11th g a m e , breaking for a 6-5 lead b e f o r e holding to take a 2-0
because… everything is fresh. Now I feel there’s been moments where you’ve been on the road longer, played a lot of matches, you haven’t had a lot of days off. “Those are the days where things are just a
from the baseline, good serve. So I just wanted to keep it going.” Alcaraz revealed that his new haircut had arisen from a botched attempt at a trim by his brother. “My brother just misunderstood the machine. He just cut it,” Alcaraz said. “Then, you know, the only
little bit harder. I t h i n k t ho s e are the t i me s w h e n your bad h a b i t s rear their head.” – Reuters
years ago, K e y s s p o k e open l y about the “dark pit o f
way to fix it is just shave it off. To be honest, it’s not that bad, I guess. “Some people like it. Some people don’t like it. To be honest, I’m just laughing
Keys
despair” that she was in
Carlos Alcaraz. – AFPPIC
TRAMLINES
next season. “That’s kind of far too,” Williams said. “My goal is to do what I want to do. I’m so grateful for all the folks who gave me a wild card. There were a lot of people who believed in me… I’m very grateful to have had that chance and that opportunity to make good on it.” Wong the toast of Hong Kong COLEMAN WONG claimed a slice of history at the US Open yesterday, becoming the first man from Hong Kong to win a Grand Slam singles match in the Open era with a straight sets win over Aleksandar Kovacevic. Wong, 21, who had already scored a notable first by battling through qualifiers to reach the main draw, extended his New York fairytale with a 6-4, 7-5, 7 6 (7-4) win at Flushing Meadows. The win was another triumph for tennis players who train at
Rafael Nadal’s academy in Mallorca: Wong’s close friend Alexandra Eala had become the first Filipino to win a Grand Slam singles match in her opening round on Sunday. “I’m still soaking it in, because it’s a big moment for me and also my family, and Hong Kong people back home. It means a lot,” Wong said, shortly after his win, revealing that he had already received a congratulatory text message from Spanish legend Nadal. Emotional Kvitova calls time on career TWICE Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova bade an emotional farewell to professional tennis yesterday after her first-round defeat at the US Open, saying she was most proud of her resilience and major triumphs during a memorable two
decade career. The 35-year-old Czech returned to competition earlier this season following a 17 month maternity break and announced ahead of Wimbledon that she would call time on her career at the end of the year’s final major in New York. Kvitova won 31 titles – including Wimbledon crowns in 2011 and 2014 – reaching a highest ranking of No. 2 in the world. She was beaten 6-1, 6-0 in her final match by Frenchwoman Diane Parry before shedding tears during an on-court ceremony to honour her. “I think I would be proudest of many things, especially the mental side,” Kvitova told reporters later. “I’m very proud of how I handled the pressure, how many times I have been in the top 10. It was special. I was never world No. 1 but those two Grand Slam wins are above the world No. 1 ranking. “That’s how I’m going to take it, especially the Wimbledon ones. I’m proud of many things.”
Venus unsure of future after defeat AN emotional Venus Williams was non-committal about her future yesterday after the 45-year-old battled bravely before suffering a first-round defeat at the US Open. The American former world No. 1 delighted a packed house on the Arthur Ashe Stadium court with a gutsy 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 defeat to Czech 11th seed Karolina Muchova. Williams only returned to competitive tennis in July following a 16-month absence yet she did enough against her 29-year-old opponent to more than justify the decision to give her a place in the main draw. Williams said she does not expect to play again this year, citing a reluctance to travel, but was coy about whether she would consider seeking a place in the Australian Open
Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter creator