23/05/2026

SATURDAY | MAY 23, 2026

5

Act of kindness turns into nightmare for shooting victim

the former Rembau MP was corrupt and lacked integrity. Earlier, Khairy’s counsel, Harshaan Muhammad Zamani, informed the court that both parties had agreed to settle the matter on terms of the resolution reached. This was confirmed by lawyers Mohammed Nasser Yusof and Mohamad Fauzi Abdul Samad, representing Jamal. SEREMBAN: A four-year-old boy is suspected to have been abused by an elderly woman, who is also his caregiver, at a house in a residential area here. Negeri Sembilan police chief Datuk Alzafny Ahmad said police received a report on the incident on Thursday night after the victim’s parents identified their son through a one-minute and 15-second video that was widely shared on social media. Alzafny said police arrested the 60-year-old woman at 9.45pm on the same day at the location of the incident to assist in the investigations, and a remand application would be made to enable investigations under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001. “Preliminary investigations found that the parents had been sending the boy to the woman’s house, which was not far from their residence, for the past seven months,” he said in a statement. He said the victim was taken to Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital for further examination and treatment. – Bernama IPOH: Police are tracking down two men suspected of stealing a cash box and a mobile phone belonging to a female trader who sells budget meals at her roadside stall in Jalan Lebuh Meru Raya here. Ipoh district police chief ACP Muhammad Najib Hamzah said at about noon, the 21-year-old victim was packing food when she was approached by two men on a silver Yamaha Y15ZR motorcycle posing as customers. “While the trader was packing the food, one of the suspect allegedly stole a box containing cash and the trader’s iPhone 13 before fleeing on the motorcycle and heading towards the Meru Raya roundabout. “The total loss is estimated at RM2,000, ” he said in a statement. He added that the incident was widely shared on Facebook after a recording was uploaded and caught the interest of the public. “Those with information regarding the incident can contact the Ipoh District Police Headquarters Operations Room at 05-245 1500 or visit the nearest police station to help with the investigations – Bernama Cops looking for two men who stole from food trader Elderly caregiver held for alleged abuse of boy

o While near-fatal incident still haunts RTM part-time cameraman, ordeal fails to weaken determination to continue working

GEORGE TOWN: A decade has passed, yet the shooting incident that nearly claimed the life of RTM part-time cameraman Mohamad Amirul Amin Mohamed Amer remains deeply etched in his memory, continuing to haunt him to this day. The 38-year-old still vividly recalls how what began as a simple act of kindness – stopping to assist what he believed was a road accident victim along the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway on Dec 1, 2016 – quickly turned into a life-threatening ordeal. He was on his way to cover the opening of the Penang Festival in Sungai Nibong when he noticed several vehicles had stopped along the middle lane of the expressway. Thinking it was an accident, he stopped to help. “I saw a man covered in blood and went over to check on him. The moment I touched his shoulder, I heard a loud bang,” he recalled. “In that instant, I truly thought my life was over. I collapsed holding my chest and all I could see was the suspect firing indiscriminately before he was eventually arrested,” he said during an interview at the Bernama Penang Bureau office. In the 7.15pm incident, three men, including businessman Datuk Ong Teik Kwang, were killed, while five others, including Mohamad Amirul Amin, were injured by stray bullets fired by Ong’s bodyguard. He said the true extent of his injuries only became clear later, as breathing difficulties and

numbness in his left hand set in. Although he received immediate treatment at the scene, his condition deteriorated rapidly. “After about 15 minutes, I could feel my body weakening. By the time I was rushed to Penang Hospital, I had already lost consciousness. It really felt like I was caught between life and death,” he said. He sustained injuries to his left shoulder and underwent intensive treatment for four months before returning to work. However, the effects of the shooting linger and he remains under medical follow-up. “Doctors told me that shrapnel had lodged in several parts of my body, affecting nerves and even areas linked to the heart. The pain is there until today,” he said. The road to recovery was far from easy. Beyond physical pain, he had to cope with sleepless nights, nerve discomfort and the inability to tolerate cold weather. Yet, the experience never weakened his resolve to remain in journalism. “If anything, it strengthened my determination to continue working. My mother’s support at the time gave me the strength to get back on my feet,” he said, adding that his mother Bunisa Mohd Ali passed away at the age of 66 two years ago. He also revealed that he had attended court proceedings as a witness but chose not to come face-to-face with the suspect, describing the episode as one of the most harrowing in his life.

Mohamad Amirul Amin receiving the assistance from Fahmi.

“People only see the final photos or videos, but they don’t see what goes on behind them. At times, even life is at stake. Still, the satisfaction of producing meaningful visuals for the public keeps me going,” he said. Mohamad Amirul Amin, who received assistance under the Tabung Kasih@Hawana initiative on June 22, 2024, expressed gratitude for the support extended to him. “Even as a part-time

appropriate legal action could be taken if the suspect is found guilty. “At the same time, the Johor Education Department is also working with the Social Welfare Department to ensure the victim is protected and her welfare is safeguarded,” it said. It added that members of the public facing similar cases are advised to not withdraw lodged police reports so that investigations and firm action could be taken by the authorities. – Bernama cameraman, I felt the concern and care. They not only provided assistance but also followed up on my health,” he said, while thanking Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil for his concern. The Tabung Kasih@Hawana initiative, implemented by the Communications Ministry through the Malaysian National News Agency (Bernama), was launched in conjunction with National Journalists’ Day 2023.

Man nabbed in school student molestation case JOHOR BAHRU: Police have arrested a man to assist with investigations into a molestation case involving a school student in the Seri Alam area here, which has been widely shared on social media since Thursday. at 9pm the same day. “The victim’s mother reported that the molestation incident had actually taken place in 2025 in the Seri Alam area,” he said in a statement here yesterday. record, he said. He added that the case was being investigated under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017.

Earlier, police detected a post uploaded by Facebook account holder “Mohd Fadli Salleh” relating to the incident. Meanwhile, the Johor Education Department, in a separate statement, said it hoped police would conduct a professional and thorough investigation so that

Hoo said a six-day remand order effective yesterday under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code had been granted by the Johor Bahru Magistrates’ Court to facilitate further investigations. The suspect tested negative for drugs and he had no criminal

Johor Police acting chief DCP Hoo Chuan Huat said the 28-year old suspect was picked up at about 10.30pm on Thursday. He said the arrest was made following a report lodged by the victim’s mother, a 37-year-old local,

Defamation suit resolved after Umno leader apologises to former minister

KUALA LUMPUR: The defamation suit filed by former Health minister Khairy Jamaluddin against Datuk Seri Jamal Md Yunos was resolved yesterday after the Sungai Besar Umno division chief issued a public apology before the High Court here. Khairy initiated the suit on May 24, 2023, arising from a media statement allegedly containing defamatory

distress, public contempt and injury to Khairy’s reputation and credibility. “Accordingly, I hereby retract fully all defamatory statements I issued against Khairy during the media conference and in the said publication,” he said. Jamal admitted he had falsely alleged that Khairy hired or paid delegates to “boo” and also implied

#UmnoDuluKiniDanSelamanya” on his Facebook and TikTok accounts. Reading the draft consent judgment, Jamal admitted that his allegations against the former Rembau MP were lacking in sufficient evidence, Bernama reported. “I sincerely regret the publication and dissemination of the said statements, which have caused

remarks made during the 2022 Umno General Assembly on Jan 14 of that year. He alleged that on the same day, Jamal uploaded a defamatory video recording titled “I hope Khairy Jamaluddin is disciplined by the Umno Disciplinary Committee after issuing careless and embarrassing statements about Umno

Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online