23/05/2026

SPORTS SATURDAY | MAY 23, 2026

FOLLOW

ON INSTAGRAM

28

Malaysian Paper

@thesundaily @t

Tensions rise in Paris

TOU RN AME N T DI R ECTO R Amelie Mauresmo said yesterday she regret ted the decision made by some play ers to limit their media obligations ahead of the French Open amid growing tensions over prize money and player influence at the Grand Slams. Several leading players are expected to restrict their appear ances at the traditional pre-tourna ment media days to the mandatory 15-minute sessions before leaving without conducting any additional interviews, according to French media reports, which Mauresmo confirmed. The move comes after weeks of mounting frustration among players, who argue that the four Grand Slams distribute a smaller share of revenues than ATP and WTA events while making key deci sions without sufficient consul tation.

“We regret this decision but I’m confi dent about the discussions that will hap pen and that we will move forward together,” Mauresmo told reporters. World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka had warned earlier this month in Rome that players could eventually consider a boy cott if their demands were not heard. “At some point, we will have to boycott if that’s the only solution to defend our rights,” Sabalenka said. “We put on the show. Without us, there would be no tour naments, no entertainment. I think we deserve to be paid better.” While top ATP and WTA events redis tribute around 22% of revenue to players, the Grand Slams are estimated to return closer to 15%, a figure that has fuelled ten sions between tournament organisers and player representatives. Mauresmo said the French Open did not take the boycott threats lightly but added discussions would take place. – Reuters

TEXA N Taylor Moore nabbed his ninth birdie of the day at his final hole to seize a one-shot lead over Brooks Koepka and Jesper Svensson in the CJ Cup Byron Nelson yesterday. Moore, who won his lone PGA Tour title at the 2023 Valspar Championship, teed off on 10 at TPC Craig Ranch in McKinney, Texas, and piled up four birdies in his first nine holes and five more coming in. That included a 14-footer at the par-five ninth for a 9-under 62 that vaulted him over early pace-setter Koepka. “Obviously pretty stoked,” Moore said, adding that his distance control into the greens was key. “I was really pleased with the iron shots I hit.” Meanwhile Koepka’s switch to a new putter paid dividends as the five-time major-winner carded an 8-under 63, his lowest score since returning to the PGA Tour this year after a spell with the breakaway LIV Golf league. “Finally, I felt good with the putter,” said the American, who had an eagle and six birdies. Koepka also teed off on 10 and jump started his round with a 17-foot birdie putt at the 11th. He rolled in a 13-foot eagle putt at the 12th and holed four putts from outside 10 feet on the day, needing just 25 putts in total. “Just happy with the way everything went today,” Koepka said. His return to the PGA Tour came with limited playing privileges, but he could gain entry to the final two elite signature Moore leads CJ Cup with Koepka one back

events of the season with a victory this week.

Final collision course Sinner and Djokovic kept apart in French Open draw

Svensson joined Koepka on 8-under with a round that included nine birdies with one bogey. Local resident Kim Si

woo of South Korea conjured eight birdies and headlined a group of seven players on 7 under 64. World No. 1 Scottie Scheffler, the defending champion, led another big group on 5-under 66. – AFP

Taylor Moore tees off on the 8th hole during the opening round of The CJ Cup in Texas yesterday. – REUTERSPIC

J ANNIK SINNER and Novak Djokovic will not be able to meet until the French Open final after the pair were placed in opposite halves of the men’s draw yesterday, while Coco Gauff could face Aryna Sabalenka in the women’s semis. Sinner, the red-hot men’s title favourite in the absence of injured rival Carlos Alcaraz, will start his bid for a maiden Roland Garros crown against French wildcard Clement Tabur, the world No. 165. Women’s world No. 1 Sabalenka faces a tough potential road to the final, with Naomi Osaka, Victoria Mboko and reigning champion Gauff all potential hurdles for the Belarusian. The build-up to the event, which gets under way tomorrow, has been overshadowed by threats from players to boycott some of their media duties over a pay dispute with Grand Slam organisers. World No. 1 Sinner is slated to meet big-hitting American fifth seed Ben Shelton in the quarterfinals. Daniil Medvedev is a possible semifi nal opponent for the Italian. Sinner won his sixth consecutive Masters 1000 trophy by beating Casper Ruud in the Rome final. That made the four-time Grand Slam champion only the second man to complete the set of all nine Masters 1000 titles, after Novak Djokovic. Third seed Djokovic will kick off his latest tilt at a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam title against home player Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard. Second seed Alexander Zverev is a potential semifinal opponent for Djokovic. The standout first round tie sees in-form French No. 1 Arthur Fils take on 41-year-old former champion

GAEL MO N FIL S brought the party to Roland Garros yesterday, teaming up with his wife Elina Svitolina to win a lively, star-studded exhibition match as he prepared for his final appearance at his home Grand Slam. The popular Frenchman took centre stage on Court Philippe-Chatrier for “Gael & Friends”, an evening that blended tennis, music and tributes to celebrate his two-decade journey on the professional tour. The former world No. 6 was joined by an array of leading players, including Novak Djokovic, Jannik Sinner, Alexander Zverev and Stefanos Tsitsipas. Four-times Grand Slam champion Naomi Osaka also featured, alongside Maria Sakkari and rising American tal ent Iva Jovic, while his former Davis Cup teammates Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Richard Gasquet added a nostalgic touch to the occasion. “Thanks to you all for everything you’ve given me over the years,” the 39 year-old showman said after the exhibi tion match. “It’s been a dream of my life. I’ve always given my absolute most. I was never quite good enough to win a Grand Slam. But maybe I won some thing more important than that – a ten nis career I’m proud of.” Monfils will play 25-year-old compa triot Hugo Gaston in the first round at Roland Garros, his 19th appearance in the main draw at the French Open. – Reuters Monfils warms up for final farewell party

Stan Wawrinka, featuring at the tour nament for the last time before retire ment. Home favourite Gael Monfils starts his farewell French Open against fellow countryman Hugo Gaston. American fourth seed Gauff, who beat world No. 1 Sabalenka, will start her title defence against compa triot Taylor Townsend. Sabalenka, who has never won the Roland Garros tournament, was handed a difficult draw. Four-time Grand Slam champion Osaka is a potential last-16 opponent for Sabalenka, although the Japanese star has never previously reached the second week in Paris. Rising Canadian prospect Mboko or fifth seed Jessica Pegula could await the Belarusian in the quarters. Sabalenka will take on Jessica Bouzas Maneiro of Spain in the first round. Gauff may need to get past fel low American Amanda Anisimova in the last eight. Four-time French Open cham pion Iga Swiatek could meet Italian Open winner Elina Svitolina in the quarters. Second seed Elena Rybakina, who won the year’s open ing Grand Slam event at the Australian Open, is slated to face Swiatek in the semifinals. Poland’s Swiatek will start her campaign against 17-year-old Australian wildcard Emerson Jones, while Rybakina plays Slovenia’s Veronika Erjavec. There is a possible all-Southeast Asian clash in the second round between Indonesia’s Janice Tjen and the Philippines’ Alexandra Eala. If that tie materialises, it may be for a last-32 meeting with Osaka. – AFP

Notices

322

FEDERAL TERRITORY (PLANNING ACT) 1982 (AKTA 267) FEDERAL TERRITORY (PLANNING) (APPLICATION FOR PLANNING PERMISSION) (FEDERAL TERRITORY OF KUALA LUMPUR) RULES 2025 RULE 3 NOTICE TO OBTAIN VIEWS Datuk Bandar has received an application for a proposed development of two apartment suite towers a 61-storey tower (Tower A - 460 units) and a 46-storey tower (Tower B - 119 units), including retails spaces, office spaces, parking podiums, mechanical rooms, and residents' facilities, with a plot ratio of 1:9.77 on Lot 147, Section 87, Jalan Tun Razak, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur. (Ref: DBKL.JPRB. 6340/95 T) Pursuant to the provisions of Rule 3, Federal Territory (Planning) (Application For Planning Permission) (Federal Territory Of Kuala Lumpur) Rules 2025, the Mayor grants the registered landowners in the surrounding area a chance to submit their views towards this application. If any registered land owners in the surrounding area decides to do so, they are required to submit in writing their views towards this application addressed to the Pengarah, Jabatan Perancangan Bandaraya, Tingkat 9, Menara DBKL 1, Jalan Raja Laut, 50350 Kuala Lumpur and through email: jprb@dbkl.gov.my . These views shall be submitted within two (2) weeks from the date of publication of this notification, clearly stating the name of the owner, lot number, local postal address, and DBKL reference number. Date: 22 ND MAY 2026 DATUK BANDAR KUALA LUMPUR FEDERAL TERRITORY (PLANNING ACT) 1982 (AKTA 267) FEDERAL TERRITORY (PLANNING) (APPLICATION FOR PLANNING PERMISSION) (FEDERAL TERRITORY OF KUALA LUMPUR) RULES 2025 RULE 3 NOTICE TO OBTAIN VIEWS Datuk Bandar has received an application for a proposed development of two apartment suite towers a 61-storey tower (Tower A - 460 units) and a 46-storey tower (Tower B - 119 units), including retails spaces, office spaces, parking podiums, mechanical rooms, and residents' facilities, with a plot ratio of 1:9.77 on Lot 147, Section 87, Jalan Tun Razak, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur. (Ref: DBKL.JPRB. 6340/95 T) Pursuant to the provisions of Rule 3, Federal Territory (Planning) (Application For Planning Permission) (Federal Territory Of Kuala Lumpur) Rules 2025, the Mayor grants the registered landowners in the surrounding area a chance to submit their views towards this application. If any registered land owners in the surrounding area decides to do so, they are required to submit in writing their views towards this application addressed to the Pengarah, Jabatan Perancangan Bandaraya, Tingkat 9, Menara DBKL 1, Jalan Raja Laut, 50350 Kuala Lumpur and through email: jprb@dbkl.gov.my . These views shall be submitted within two (2) weeks from the date of publication of this notification, clearly stating the name of the owner, lot number, local postal address, and DBKL reference number. Date: 23 RD MAY 2026 DATUK BANDAR KUALA LUMPUR

Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online