19/05/2026

TUESDAY | MAY 19, 2026

5

Man claims trial over crash that left rider critical

Three migrants still missing after boat sinks PETALING JAYA: Three undocumented migrants remain missing after a small motorised wooden vessel, commonly known as a pom-pom boat, sank in the waters off Sabak Bernam on Saturday, prompting a large-scale search and rescue operation now entering its third day. In a statement yesterday, Selangor Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) director Maritime Capt Abdul Muhaimin Muhammad Salleh said the boat was carrying 19 migrants when it began leaking about 2.1 nautical miles southwest of Sungai Apong. He said authorities received a distress call at 4.45am from one of the crew members alerting them to the emergency. Following the report, the MMEA deployed patrol assets KM Bagan Datuk and Penggalang 41 to the location. “Penggalang 41 arrived at the scene and found the pom-pom boat had fully sunk at about 9am. Sixteen migrants were rescued while three remain missing. Search efforts are ongoing,” Abdul Muhaimin said. The rescued passengers comprised 10 men – two Bangladeshis and eight Indonesians – as well as six Indonesian women aged between 24 and 50. They were believed to have initially been rescued by a local fishing vessel before MMEA assets arrived at the scene. To coordinate operations, the MMEA established a forward base at Jeti Kelong Paradise as the central hub for all agencies involved. The operation, which began at 7am yesterday, covers a search radius of 236 square nautical miles and involves assets from the MMEA, Marine Police and Fire and Rescue Department. Abdul Muhaimin said the MMEA would continue strengthening enforcement and monitoring in Malaysian waters to curb cross border crimes, including migrant smuggling. “We will intensify operations to prevent human smuggling activities that threaten the security and sovereignty of our waters,” he said, while advising the maritime community to prioritise safety at sea. Members of the public with information on maritime crimes or emergencies can contact the Selangor MMEA operations centre at 013-660 6652 or dial 999. The incident is the latest in a series of pom pom boat cases in Selangor waters. On Jan 31, the MMEA intercepted a vessel carrying 80 undocumented migrants off Bagan Nakhoda Omar, where passengers were allegedly charged between RM1,500 and RM2,500 each depending on their destination. – By Faiz Ruzman S. Koreans charged over alleged kidnapping plot RAUB: Three South Korean men pleaded not guilty at the Sessions Court yesterday to charges of kidnapping a fellow countryman last month. The alleged offence also involved a ransom demand of USDT10 million – a cryptocurrency known as Tether, pegged to the US dollar – valued at about RM39.7 million. Kwon Kyungryul, 28, Kwak Jaeil, 40, and Kim Myeong Joon, 40, entered their pleas after the charges were read in Korean before Judge Noor Zaihan Mohamad Ali through a court interpreter. According to the charge, the three men allegedly acted with common intention in demanding the ransom after unlawfully confining and holding a 40 year-old South Korean man at KM16, Jalan Genting Highlands, Bentong, on April 17. They were charged under Section 3(1) of the Kidnapping Act 1961, which carries a jail sentence of between 30 and 40 years, as well as caning, upon conviction. Deputy public prosecutor Fathin Nadhirah Kasim requested a new mention date to allow for the submission of documents and the appointment of legal counsel for the accused. The court fixed June 29 for mention and ruled that no bail would be granted to the three accused. – Bernama

o Accused allegedly drove 3.5km against traffic with blood alcohol level nearly four times above legal limit

he said. The prosecution proposed bail of RM15,000. After hearing submissions from both parties, the magistrate granted bail at RM10,000 with one surety, ordered the suspension of the accused’s driving licence and directed him to report to the nearest police station twice a month. The court fixed July 30 for mention. Zulfiqar, the eldest of four siblings, was reportedly completing his final delivery of the night when he was allegedly struck. South Klang police chief ACP Lim Jit Huey said the accused was believed to have been speeding while under the influence of alcohol. He allegedly drove against the flow of traffic for about 3.5km from Port Klang towards Shah Alam before colliding with the victim, who was travelling in the correct lane. “The impact threw the victim off his motorcycle, leaving him seriously injured,” he said, adding that Zulfiqar remains in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital. Police said the accused had no prior criminal or drug-related record, although screening confirmed he was intoxicated at the time of the incident.

Ű BY THE SUN TEAM newdesk@thesundaily.com

Low was charged under Section 44(1A) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for driving under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and causing injury. If convicted, he faces between seven and 10 years’ imprisonment, a fine of between RM30,000 and RM50,000, and suspension of his driving licence. Deputy public prosecutor Nur Nadia Syuhada Rosli objected to bail, citing the seriousness of the offence and the victim’s condition. She also applied for the accused’s driving licence to be suspended pending disposal of the case. Defence counsel Ethan W.H. Tan appealed for lower bail, saying his client worked as a freelance assistant event planner earning between RM1,800 and RM2,000 monthly and was the sole breadwinner for his parents, aged 69 and 78. “My client will cooperate fully with the court and attend all future proceedings. He is not a flight risk and this is his first offence,”

KLANG: An alleged drunk driver accused of travelling 3.5km against traffic before crashing into a food delivery rider, leaving the victim fighting for his life, pleaded not guilty in court yesterday. Low Kean Peng, 35, claimed trial after the charge was read before Magistrate A. Karthiyayini at the Magistrate’s Court here. “I do not plead guilty. I want to go on trial, Puan,” he said. Dressed in a maroon T-shirt and black knee-length shorts, Low appeared calm as he was escorted into court in handcuffs. He is accused of driving with a blood alcohol level of 196mg per 100ml, far exceeding the legal limit of 50mg per 100ml, and causing grievous injuries to Zulfiqar Zamir Amirul Nizam, 27. The offence allegedly took place at 12.35am on May 13 along Persiaran Kota.

Shazeli (centre) showing the seized drugs during the press conference. – BERNAMAPIC

Cops smash four drug rings in RM17.8mil seizure SHAH ALAM: Police have crippled four drug trafficking syndicates operating around KL International Airport (KLIA) and Ampang following the seizure of 251.8kg of marijuana buds and syabu worth RM17.8 million in separate raids recently. for a European country. “The six foreign nationals, comprising three men and three women aged between 17 and 31, were arrested around KLIA Terminal 1. They were found to have entered the country using social visit passes. He said an inspection of the vehicle used by the suspect uncovered 79 plastic packages suspected to contain 79kg of syabu worth RM3.95 million.

Shazeli also cautioned the public against becoming drug mules by accepting offers to carry luggage or goods for others without knowing their contents. “Do not be easily deceived by promises of high payment, as such actions can lead to serious legal consequences,” he said in a statement yesterday. All suspects have been remanded for 14 days and investigations are being conducted under Section 39B of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952. – Bernama

“One of them tested positive for THC and we believe they were paid between 3,000 euros (RM13,806) and 5,000 euros (RM23,010) for the trip,” he said at a press conference at the Selangor police contingent headquarters yesterday. In a separate case, Shazeli said a 22-year-old local man believed to be a drug courier was arrested in front of a premises in Ampang Jaya on May 11.

Selangor police chief Datuk Shazeli Kahar said six foreign nationals were arrested on May 6, 9 and 10 following the discovery of suspicious luggage during routine baggage screening at KLIA Terminal 1. He said all the suspects, believed to be linked to different syndicates, were found carrying 254 packages of marijuana buds weighing 172.8kg and valued at RM13.85 million inside nine pieces of luggage bound

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker