16/05/2026

SATURDAY | MAY 16, 2026 5 Call for stricter action to curb open burning KOTA BHARU: It is time for enforcement measures, including compounds and legal action, to be intensified to curb the increasingly serious issue of open burning in Kelantan, said state Fire and Rescue Department director Farhan Sufyan Borhan. He said awareness campaigns alone were no longer sufficient, as open burning cases continue to occur despite various efforts previously implemented. “This year, we have proposed to certain agencies that instead of merely conducting awareness campaigns, they should also take enforcement action. “Warnings, compounds or fines should be imposed on individuals carrying out open burning so that it serves as a lesson to others,” he told Bernama recently. On Thursday, Bernama reported that the sharp increase in open burning cases in Kelantan since early March had caused the state fire department operational costs to surge, including diesel usage, which reached RM217,000 last month. Farhan Sufyan was reported as saying that the department’s fuel usage was estimated at between RM45,000 and RM60,000 a month, but had risen significantly due to increasingly frequent open burning firefighting operations throughout the current dry season. In April alone, the fire department received more than 2,000 calls involving open burning, compared with only 199 calls recorded throughout last year. Of the total, bushfires recorded the highest number at 1,575 cases, followed by forest fires at 238, rubbish fires at 99 and plantation fires at 37. Among the worst-affected districts were Kota Bharu with 522 cases, followed by Bachok at 357 and Pasir Mas at 252. Farhan Sufyan said throughout last year, the state fire department and the Environment Department (DOE) carried out various campaigns on the dangers of open burning, but such acts were still being carried out. Most open burning activities were carried out deliberately for land clearing and agricultural land preparation during the dry season, he said. Farhan Sufyan added that the department had also been informed that DOE and police had opened several investigation papers related to open burning cases in the state. He also reminded the public not to carry out uncontrolled open burning as such actions could cause fires to spread to other areas. Navy finds 11th body of boat capsize victim IPOH: Another body of a boat capsize victim was found yesterday near Pulau Pangkor, bringing the number of recovered bodies to 11 so far. The Perak Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) said the body of a male was discovered by the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) at 9.27am 5.6 nautical miles from the incident site. “The body was found by an RMN asset ( FCB 1001 ) and taken to the Kampung Acheh marine police jetty at 10.20am,” it said in a statement. Earlier, the search and rescue (SAR) operation, which entered its fifth day, resumed at 7am, covering a total search radius of about 215.14 square nautical miles from the incident location. The SAR operation involved seven assets, namely the KM Malawali (MMEA), Benteng 1203 (MMEA), KD Sri Indera Sakti (RMN), FCB 1001 (RMN), FCB 1030 , PSC 16 (marine police) and PSC 24 (marine police), focusing on locating three more missing victims. In the incident on May 11, a boat believed to be carrying 37 Indonesian migrants capsized about 8.2 nautical miles off Pulau Pangkor while en route to several destinations in Malaysia. So far, 23 victims have been rescued. – Bernama

College student charged with murder of couple

KUALA LUMPUR: A college student was charged in the Magistrate’s Court yesterday with the murder of a married couple following a fatal crash along Jalan Ampang earlier this month. Danish Raman Kamar Kumaresan, 24, nodded after the charges were read before Magistrate Nurul Izzah Hasan Basri. No plea was recorded as murder cases o Accused alleged to have caused death of husband and wife after crashing into motorcycle of couple along Jalan Ampang on May 2

morning hours. Kuala Lumpur Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department chief ACP Mohd Zamzuri Mohd Isa said the 61-year-old man and his 56-year-old wife were pronounced dead at the scene due to severe head injuries. He said initial investigations found that a Toyota Vios driven by a 24-year-old local man crashed into the rear of the victims’ Honda Wave Alpha motorcycle. Doraisingam’s nephew, K. Suresh Kumar, 47, told Bernama it was his uncle’s daily routine to send his wife to work at Gleneagles Hospital every morning. “The accused’s family wants to meet us, but we have not met them yet. “We don’t want anything else other than justice to be served,” he said, adding that his late uncle and aunt are survived by three children aged between 19 and 26.

fall under the jurisdiction of the High Court. The court then fixed Aug 17 for mention. The accused is alleged to have caused the deaths of A. Doraisingam, 61, and A. Menagah, 56, in a crash along Jalan Ampang towards Ampang Point from KLCC at 5.30am on May 2. He was charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code, which provides for the death penalty or imprisonment of not less than 30 years and not more than 40 years, and a minimum of 12 strokes of the cane. DPPs Mohamad Shahrizat Amadan and Faizal@Amrin Noor Hadi appeared for the prosecution, while the accused was represented by Devinder Kaur Dhaliwal and Mansheel Kaur. On May 3, Bernama reported that a married couple were killed after the motorcycle they were riding was struck from behind by a car in the early

Danish being led into court yesterday. – BERNAMAPIC

‘Impose heavier penalties for drink-driving offence’ KUALA LUMPUR: The government has been urged to take sterner action, including heavier mandatory prison sentences, for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs that result in fatalities. National Unity Deputy Minister offence, but a threat to public safety,” he said in a Facebook post. Yuneswaran also suggested that the government take strict action against premises selling alcohol without a licence, including the closure of such outlets and the cancellation of their business licences. countries. Enforcement against selling alcohol to youths must also be tightened,” he added. He also called for intensified large-scale roadblocks and checks, particularly at night, on weekends and during festive seasons.

On Thursday, he visited the family of the late A. Doraisingam and A. Menagah, who were killed after being hit by a car driven by a college student in Jalan Ampang on May 2. Yuneswaran said such tragedies should no longer be seen as isolated incidents as any lapse in enforcement today could lead to a family’s loss in the future. He is hopeful that justice will be served for the family of the deceased, while urging all parties to learn from the tragedy and ensure the safety of the people remains a national priority. – Bernama

R. Yuneswaran said in addition to harsher jail terms, offenders who cause death or serious injury should have their driving licences revoked for life. “A comprehensive review of amendments to the Road Transport Act should be carried out to provide for heavier and more specific penalties for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. “It is time for the country to take a firm stand that drink-driving or driving under the influence of drugs is not merely a road traffic

He also proposed a ban on the sale of alcohol near residential areas, houses of worship, schools and educational institutions. Yuneswaran said the government should consider limiting alcohol sales hours and halting the open display of alcohol products at counters and shelves, similar to controls on tobacco products. “The 24-hour sale of alcohol at retail outlets needs to be reviewed and restricted to specific hours, as implemented in neighbouring

Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker