16/05/2026

SATURDAY | MAY 16, 2026

MAIN SPONSOR

REGISTER HERE

2

Cake Decorating CONTEST

TH 2 PM - 5 PM 19

JUNE 2026 (REGISTRATION STARTS AT 1:00 PM)

CILANTRO CULINARY & PASTRY ACADEMY

VENUE SPONSOR

*Terms & Conditions Apply

Pathway to public varsities being refined o Move reflects more inclusive approach while maintaining common national academic standard, says PM

Jho Low pardon rests with US govt, says Anwar SENDAYAN: The pardon application by fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho in the United States (US) is not under consideration by the Malaysian government, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. He said that any decision on the matter falls entirely under the jurisdiction of the US government. “There is no issue. We are not considering it. That is a decision for the US,” he said after the National Youth Day 2026 celebration yesterday. The media had earlier reported that Low Taek Jho, widely known as Jho Low, is seeking a pardon from US President Donald Trump over the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) case. The latest development has reignited global attention on the multibillion-dollar financial scandal, with Malaysian authorities insisting that efforts must remain focused on locating the businessman and ensuring that he faces justice. 1MDB Task Force chairman Datuk Seri Johari Abdul Ghani said any attempt to secure clemency for Jho Low should be firmly rejected. The controversy follows a Wall Street Journal report claiming that Jho Low had formally submitted a pardon request in the US. The report cited a White House official as saying that the application is not currently being actively considered. According to reports, a US Department of Justice database lists an application under the name Taek Jho Low categorised as a “Pardon after Completion of Sentence” filing submitted earlier this year. Jho Low remains one of the central figures in the sprawling 1MDB corruption scandal and is wanted in several jurisdictions over allegations involving fraud, corruption and money laundering. It was reported that about US$4.5 billion was siphoned from 1MDB between 2009 and 2015 through a complex web of transactions involving fund officials and individuals linked to Jho Low. Despite years of investigations and international warrants, the businessman has consistently denied wrongdoing and remains at large, with his whereabouts still unknown. The scandal triggered massive political fallout in Malaysia and was widely seen as a key factor behind the collapse of the Barisan Nasional government in the 2018 general election after more than six decades in power. Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, who founded 1MDB in 2009, has since been convicted in multiple corruption-linked cases connected to the scandal and is serving a prison sentence. Najib’s defence team has repeatedly portrayed Jho Low as the main architect behind the embezzlement scheme. International probes into the scandal have also implicated major financial institutions and led to criminal proceedings against former Goldman Sachs bankers. The Wall Street Journal further reported that Malaysia had previously agreed to temporarily suspend an Interpol red notice against Jho Low as part of efforts aimed at recovering overseas assets allegedly tied to the scandal. In 2019, US authorities moved to recover around US$1 billion in assets linked to Jho Low, including luxury properties in Beverly Hills, New York and London as well as a private jet and other high-value assets. Over the years, speculation has mounted that Jho Low may be hiding in China, although Beijing has repeatedly denied claims that it is sheltering the fugitive financier. – BY QIRANA NABILLA MOHD RASHIDI AND HARITH KAMAL

SEREMBAN: Several implementation details are still being refined following the government’s broad agreement to open selected public university programmes to graduates from diverse education backgrounds, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim. He said the government has agreed in principle to widen access to public universities for students from tahfiz institutions and Chinese independent schools, including UEC holders, provided they pass Bahasa Melayu and History at SPM level. “The Cabinet’s decision is that students must pass Bahasa Melayu and History. We are allowing access, although initially it may be limited to certain courses. “Previously, this matter was not properly prepared. Now, when Chinese schools are included, we are giving room. That is a good Ű BY QIRANA NABILLA MOHD RASHIDI AND HARITH KAMAL newsdesk@thesundaily.com Speaking at the National Youth Day 2026 event yesterday, Anwar reaffirmed the government’s commitment to empowering youth and strengthening their role in nation building. “Youth organisations remain important platforms in developing leadership, critical thinking and civic responsibility among young Malaysians. “I came here with a sense of relief because despite global turmoil, economic and social problems, wars and injustices, young people are now realising that only principles and idealism can save themselves, their families, society and the nation.” Anwar also announced increased financial support for Islamic institutions and religious personnel under the Islamic Development Department. He said the government had approved higher allowances for Kafa teachers, mosque imams , qariah committee members and religious instructors, amounting to RM42.3 million. Anwar said additionally RM5.4 million had been allocated for the maintenance of religious institutions nationwide, including tahfiz schools and pondok institutions. “Some tahfiz schools are in very poor condition. That is why we approved allocations for repair and maintenance works.” He said three repair and upgrading projects involving pondok and tahfiz institutions in Negeri Sembilan had also been approved under the Prime Minister’s Department maintenance unit, involving an allocation of RM800,000. These include Maahad Tahfiz Al-Quran Al Falah Kuala Sawah Rantau, Madrasah Azzakirin and Pondok Pesantren Darul Tauhid. He said the initiatives reflect the government’s continued commitment to safeguarding the welfare of religious educators and strengthening Islamic educational institutions while ensuring youth development remains a national priority. He called on Malaysian youth to uphold idealism, moral principles and critical thinking

public universities. According to the Higher Education Ministry, students with a full SPM can apply to all programmes via UPUOnline based on merit. A second pathway has also been introduced for those who do not have a full SPM but have passed Bahasa Melayu and History. They will be eligible to apply for selected programmes relevant to their field of study. For tahfiz and religious school graduates, this includes Islamic-related programmes, while SMPC/UEC graduates may apply for Chinese language and cultural studies programmes. The ministry said all applications remain subject to merit-based selection and final approval by university senates.

development,” he said at the National Youth Day celebration yesterday. He said the move reflects a more inclusive approach while maintaining a common national academic standard. “This is not limited to one group. Arab schools, religious secondary schools, tahfiz institutions and others are all subject to the same requirements, including international schools involving Malaysian students.” He reiterated that the core requirement remains unchanged. “They must pass SPM Bahasa Melayu and History.” On Thursday, media reported that the Cabinet had approved an alternative entry pathway for students from religious schools, private schools and Chinese independent schools to enter

Malaysian Youth Council gets bigger allocation of RM5m SENDAYAN: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim announced an increase in allocations for the Malaysian Youth Council from RM4 million last year to RM5 million this year.

Anwar with members of Rakan Muda during the National Youth Day 2026 event in Seremban yesterday. – BERNAMAPIC

instructed agencies and financial institutions to actively engage with grassroots communities and young entrepreneurs instead of waiting for them to seek assistance. “Go down to the markets, open booths and ask young people directly what they need.” Citing a recent study by the Khazanah Research Institute, he said despite the availability of assistance, only around 6% of small traders and youth entrepreneurs had received financing from government agencies. Anwar also raised concerns over low wages affecting workers, particularly among young people. He said the Human Resources Ministry is studying the growth in the number of youths in the gig economy and e-hailing sector. – BY QIRANA NABILLA MOHD RASHIDI AND HARITH KAMAL

amid global instability, stressing that the government remains focused on addressing the people’s economic concerns. “Despite changing times from agriculture to AI and digital transformation, the nation must remain grounded in strong principles and conviction. “In any struggle, once conviction and idealism are lost people become obsessed with power and wealth, abandoning principles and even plundering the nation’s resources.” Anwar also welcomed criticism from young people, including towards the government and himself, as long as it was grounded in principles and constructive thinking. He reminded youth leaders to uphold morality and resolve differences through consultation and consensus. Anwar revealed that the government has

Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker