27/08/2025

WEDNESDAY | AUG 27, 2025

5

Probe launched after student falls from third floor of dorm

Lawsuit against govt reinstated PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal has allowed a housewife’s application to reinstate her negligence lawsuit against the Immigration Department director-general and the government after she was wrongly identified as bankrupt and prevented from travelling abroad. A three-member bench led by justice Datuk Collin Lawrence Sequerah ruled on Monday that S. Sumathi’s suit was not an “obvious and unsustainable” case that warranted being struck out, Bernama reported. He said Sumathi had complied with the requirements of the Government Proceedings Act 1956, which stipulates that a public officer involved in the matter must be properly named in the lawsuit. He added that in this case, the Immigration Department director-general was correctly identified as the public officer as required under the Interpretations Acts 1948 and 1967. Sitting with justices Datuk Faizah Jamaludin and Datuk Nadzarin Wok Nordin, the court awarded Sumathi RM15,000 in legal costs. In Sumathi’s statement of claim, she said on Nov 25, 2022, she was barred from boarding a flight after a check by an officer on the department computer system showed that she was bankrupt and had been blacklisted from leaving the country. She later learned that the actual blacklisted person shared her name and date of birth but had a different identity card number. seventh-floor drop MALACCA: A final-year medical student from a private university in Bukit Baru is in critical condition after falling from the seventh floor of an apartment in Jalan Tun Razak here on Monday. Central Malacca police chief ACP Christopher Patit said the 24-year-old man from Shah Alam, Selangor sustained severe traumatic brain injuries, including skull fractures, and is being treated at the Malacca Hospital. He said at 10.42pm, the victim was seen coming out of the bathroom before he allegedly fell from the unit that he shares with five university mates. According to him, the victim landed on a fifth-floor balcony and was rushed to the hospital. “Preliminary investigations found that the incident was not linked to bullying.” – Bernama Man critically injured after

Shazeli urged the public to refrain from making assumptions that could disrupt the investigation or further distress the victim’s family, stressing that police are committed to conducting a transparent and comprehensive probe into the incident. According to media reports, the boy suffered brain bleeding, a broken jaw and lung injuries but no other fractures consistent with a fall. His uncle Muhammad Aidil Mansor said the family suspected bullying and lodged a report at the Sabak Bernam police station at 5am yesterday. He added that the family was informed that five students have been detained to assist investigations but none had given statements as of press time.

pending the outcome of the probe. “My prayers are for the child to be granted a swift recovery and for the family to be given strength and patience in facing this trial.” Selangor police earlier confirmed receiving a report on the incident, which took place at about 2am. State police chief Datuk Shazeli Kahar said a probe paper has been opened under Section 31(1) of the Child Act 2001, with inquiries focusing on school safety measures, dormitory management and the social background of the victim and his peers. “At this stage, police are recording statements from witnesses and relevant individuals. “While we are aware of public speculation regarding bullying, it is still too early to confirm,” he said.

o Stern action will be taken if investigation finds that case involved bullying: Education Ministry

Ű BY QIRANA NABILLA MOHD RASHIDI newsdesk@thesundaily.com

“The receiving treatment in a hospital. I have instructed a detailed investigation into all aspects of the case, including allegations of bullying. “The ministry does not tolerate any form of bullying. Stern action will be taken if the investigation finds that it involved bullying,” she said in a Facebook post. Fadhlina said as an immediate measure, the principal, senior assistant for student affairs and all dormitory wardens have been temporarily reassigned to the Selangor Education Department student is

PETALING JAYA: The Education Ministry has launched an internal probe into a possible breach of procedures at a school in Sabak Bernam after a Form Three student was critically injured in a fall from the third floor of his dormitory early yesterday. Education Minister Fadhlina Sidek confirmed that a police report had been lodged to facilitate a full investigation.

High Court orders exhumation of cadet’s grave

SHAH ALAM: The High Court has ordered the exhumation of the grave of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Reserve Officers Training Unit cadet Syamsul Haris Shamsudin, 22, buried at the Kampung Rinching Ulu Muslim cemetery in Semenyih, Hulu Langat. Judicial commissioner Datuk Bhupindar Singh Gurcharan Singh Preet granted the application filed by the deceased’s mother Ummu Haiman Bee Daulatgun, 45. In delivering the ruling yesterday, Bhupindar Singh directed that the IGP or his officers oversee the exhumation and conduct a second post-mortem on the remains of Ummu Haiman Bee’s eldest son. “The first respondent may seek assistance from any relevant parties if deemed necessary,” he said, reading the decision. Senior federal counsel Nurul Huda Mohd Salehuddin appeared for the IGP, Selangor prosecution director Kalmizah Salleh represented the attorney-general, and Datuk Naran Singh acted for the mother. Bhupindar Singh further ordered that a forensic pathologist from the Kuala Lumpur Hospital conduct a second post-mortem on the remains of Syamsul Haris within 14 days of exhumation. “The post-mortem shall be carried out in the presence of forensic expert Datuk Seri Dr Bhupinder Singh and o IGP told to conduct second post-mortem on remains

Naran Singh (third, left) standing beside Ummu Haiman Bee for a picture after the court’s decision at the Shah Alam High Court yesterday. – BERNAMAPIC

accurate, transparent and conclusive,” she said, adding that a thorough and impartial investigation must be conducted, without shielding any party. On Aug 19, she filed the application seeking, among others, a second post-mortem and the initiation of an inquest into her son’s death. Syamsul Haris died on July 28 at the Kota Tinggi Hospital in Johor while undergoing training at the Combat Inoculation Firing Range, Army Combat Training Centre in Ulu Tiram, Johor. He was buried the next day.

promptly, with the date to be set by the IGP. “The IGP and relevant state religious authorities are involved in the matter. They will set the date for the exhumation. For example, if they decide on this Friday, the post mortem must be conducted within 14 days from that date,” he said. Ummu Haiman Bee expressed gratitude for the court’s decision allowing her son’s grave to be exhumed, Bernama reported. “At the very least, we can now learn the true cause of death. I hope the post-mortem findings will be

counsel appointed by the family, Datuk Naran Singh, or a representative from Messrs Naran Singh and Co. “The forensic pathologist conducting the examination is directed to prepare and deliver the post-mortem report within a reasonable time from the date of the procedure, and a copy of the report must be provided to the applicant’s solicitors Messrs Naran Singh & Co,” he ruled. Speaking to reporters outside the courtroom, Naran Singh said preparations are underway to ensure the exhumation could be carried out

Three nabbed over suspected involvement in graft since 2014 KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has arrested three individuals, including a senior officer holding a Jusa B grade serving with a local authority in the capital, on suspicion of being involved in corruption since 2014. According to sources, a man who is a company owner and a woman in her 40s were detained at the Putrajaya MACC headquarters and the Kuala Lumpur MACC office when they turned up to provide their statements on Monday. The third suspect, a man in his 50s who works with the local authority, was arrested in his office at 4pm. “All suspects are believed to have been involved in corruption since 2014, with the company owner suspected of having paid bribes to the local authority officer in exchange for assistance in securing projects under

the individuals and companies involved, with a total value of over RM7 million. MACC Intelligence Division Senior Director Datuk Saiful Ezral Arifin said the case is being investigated under Section 16(a)(B) of the MACC Act 2009. – Bernama

the local authority. “Following their arrests, the MACC seized about RM150,000 in cash, four telecommunication devices, two cars as well as branded handbags and shoes. The sources said the MACC has also frozen 19 bank accounts belonging to

Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter creator