27/08/2025

WEDNESDAY | AUG 27, 2025

3

Works Ministry ramps up repairs on Gerik–Jeli route

‘Disabled employment in civil service still below 1% quota’

Ű BY QIRANA NABILLA MOHD RASHIDI newsdesk@thesundaily.com

Jeli, Kelantan, in addition to the road works at section 83.74 and section 198.40 in Perak. “However, approval for these projects will only be known after the tabling of Budget 2026.” Previously, Nanta said upgrading ageing highways such as the Gerik-Jeli route has long been a budgetary priority for his ministry, dismissing suggestions that it was merely being “considered” for inclusion in Budget 2026. “It is not a matter of ‘considering’ anymore. This has been one of our main funding priorities year after year,” he said, noting the urgent need to refurbish older highways and federal roads. Concerns over the Gerik–Jeli route have intensified following several deadly crashes. On June 9, a bus accident on the highway claimed the lives of 15 Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris students. More recently, on Aug 23, a motorcyclist was killed in a collision with a trailer on the same highway. He was believed to be on his way to the RXZ 7.0 Rally in Gong Badak, Kuala Terengganu.

Federal Route FT004 have been scheduled for this year with an allocation of RM200,000. For the medium term, Nanta said the federal government has approved a RM100 million project to repair pavement structures on the Gerik–Jeli stretch between section 83.74 and section 198.40 in Hulu Perak. The project, which began last year with expected completion next year, covers soil studies, pavement condition assessments, solar streetlight and traffic light installation, as well as guardrail and signage upgrades. To date, RM55 million has been allocated, including RM35 million for pavement repairs, RM14.5 million for non-pavement works and RM3.5 million for lighting. Another 385 solar LED streetlights will also be installed along the stretch. Nanta said the ministry had also applied for funding under Rolling Plan 1 of the 13th Malaysia Plan to upgrade the East–West Highway in both Perak and Kelantan. The proposals include repair works from section 198.40 to section 224.90 in

o 224 potholes fixed, solar streetlights planned and RM100m allocated as govt tackles deadly stretch of East–West Highway

PETALING JAYA: Only 9,331 persons with disabilities (PwD) were employed in the public sector as of June 30 – just 0.64% of the total workforce – falling short of the 1% quota introduced in 1988 and reinforced under the Persons with Disabilities Act. In a written reply to Parliament, the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry said the Public Service Department has introduced several measures to improve PwD participation in the civil service. “Initiatives include the integrated planning framework to boost PwD employability, policy reviews to address applicant shortages, advocacy programmes such as Jelajah Organisasi Mesra OKU, disability equality training and sign language courses, as well as a partnership with Socso to promote inclusive hiring across ministries and agencies,” it said. Within the ministry, 179 PwD are employed – 2.24% of its workforce and that of its agencies. The ministry also provides job coach services, vocational and medical rehabilitation training, and specialised workshops in Klang and Sungai Petani. “In addition, the ministry provides a monthly allowance of RM450 under the Disabled Worker Allowance scheme for Malaysian PwD cardholders earning below RM1,700, to encourage continued employment and productivity.” The ministry also reaffirmed its commitment to expanding the community-based rehabilitation centres. Since 2018, all centres have been registered as NGOs under the Registrar of Societies. The government has allocated RM143.1 million to support 579 centres nationwide, benefiting 20,801 PwDs. for results: Minister PUTRAJAYA: Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad has called for patience as authorities await the medical report on former PKR deputy president Rafizi Ramli’s son. “We need to allow the investigation to run its course. We have to be a little patient,” he said at the Cancer Care Closer to Community event on Monday. Recently, the media reported that Rafizi’s son was attacked around 2pm at a drop-off area of a shopping mall here, Bernama reported. Rafizi claimed the attack involved two men in black clothes and helmets on a motorcycle, with one of them dragging his son before injecting him with a syringe. Last Friday, Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail said police had recorded statements from 19 individuals, including Rafizi’s family members, a driver, employees and several other witnesses to assist in the investigation. Mohd Khalid said the police are still waiting for a chemical report on the liquid injected into Rafizi’s son. All parties must patiently wait

Ű BY HARITH KAMAL newsdesk@thesundaily.com

East–West Highway, which has seen a high number of fatalities. The minister said concession companies appointed by the government are responsible for routine and periodic maintenance of federal roads. “This includes pavement repairs, non-pavement works and emergency responses such as clearing landslide debris, preparing traffic management plans and providing temporary access to ensure roads remain passable. In addition to pothole patching, streetlights will be installed in accident-prone areas, particularly at intersections, curves and bridges that have been identified as high-risk locations.” Under the Road Safety Infrastructure Upgrade Programme, two new lighting installations along

PETALING JAYA: As of July this year, a total of 224 potholes have been patched along the East–West Highway from Gerik to Jeli, said Works Minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi. He told the Dewan Rakyat yesterday that this forms part of the government’s short-term response to improve road safety following a series of fatal accidents. Nanta said authorities are committed to repairing any newly identified pothole within 24 hours. He was responding to a question from Senator Datuk Shamsuddin Abd Ghaffar, who had asked for comprehensive short, medium and long-term solutions to address infrastructure problems along the SEPANG: Malaysia has barred over 17,000 foreigners from entering the country this year, as authorities step up border security with new systems and stricter checks at entry points. Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the Malaysian National Border Agency had issued 17,658 not-to-land notices up to July, of which 13,790 involved passengers arriving at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). “In addition, the agency also seized prohibited and unlicensed goods worth RM1.9 million at the country’s entry points during the same period,” he told reporters after launching the Benteng Persada campaign at KLIA yesterday. The campaign is launched in conjunction with National Month, aimed at raising awareness on border security and national sovereignty. The event also saw the soft launch of the agency’s interim tactical uniform, a patriotic poetry recital and an awards presentation to frontline officers for their service at the nation’s entry points. Saifuddin said the government’s priority was to balance smooth facilitation of travellers and goods with strict border security. “As a single agency overseeing entry points, operations are now centralised under one chain of command. This ensures administration is more effective, clearance processes are faster and security remains uncompromised,” he said, adding that a one-stop centre for integrated goods inspection under the agency had reduced clearance times, easing the burden on industry players, particularly forwarding agents.

Ű BY FAIZ RUZMAN newsdesk@thesundaily.com M’sia bars 17,000 foreigners amid tighter border checks

Border protection officers in the agency’s newly introduced uniforms at the KLIA. The uniforms were unveiled during the agency’s Benteng Persada campaign. – BERNAMAPIC

ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation) has visited Malaysia several times to ensure compliance.” “The Home Ministry has completed procurement, appointed a vendor and system development is under way. By Sept or Oct this year, we will begin trial runs with 10 airlines at KLIA, out of the 56 operating here.” He said the agency would allow Malaysian authorities to pre-screen passengers before boarding. “Passenger names, passport numbers, seating and other travel details will be shared in advance. This means potential security risks can be

“Immigration is moving towards full autogate operations, while the Customs Department is enhancing the use of cargo scanners. These measures not only improve efficiency but also ensure Malaysia safeguards its borders with modern systems.” Looking ahead, Saifuddin highlighted plans to introduce the advanced passenger screening system, which he described as a“game changer” for border management. “After the 9/11 tragedy, the United Nations Security Council required all countries to adopt advanced passenger information systems. The

mitigated before arrival and not-to land cases will be significantly reduced.” On the Johor Bahru–Singapore RTS Link, Saifuddin confirmed that the border agency would be the sole frontliner managing the Bukit Chagar and Woodlands North CIQ (Customs, Immigration and Quarantine) stations when operations begin in January 2027. A new legal framework will be tabled in Parliament by February to facilitate this, as amending dozens of existing laws would be impractical, added Saifuddin.

Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter creator